Thursday, October 17, 2013

Week 7: Ghostery and Consumer Behavior

So the other day in my market research class with Omar, he told us about this amazing browser tool/software called Ghostery. This tool allows you to see all of the advertisers, and trackers that are watching what you do, and collecting data on the websites you browse. For example, one day I was looking up a particular type of hot tea (ginger peach green tea), and the next day I had ads for tea companies on my internet browsers sidebar and whatnot. Ghostery allows you to block those ads and advertisers. Here is the link for Ghostery if you want to download it: Ghostery.

I downloaded ghostery and I didn't realize how many companies are actually on each website I go on. I knew there had to be a few but some sites had 30-40 hits! I am able to block these advertisers which makes me feel like I have a bit more privacy but I was shocked to see numbers like that. I don't think as consumers we really realize how much companies are watching us and tracking our purchases and other ways to advertise to us.

For me, when I see the ads on the side of my browser specifically targeted to me and products I was searching the other day, I have mixed feelings about it. I understand its more logical and cost effective for companies to advertise to consumers who are in the market for their products. However, I also find it kinda creepy and annoying to have those ads right there. Like, if I want to buy the tea, I will. I will go to there website and buy the tea, I don't want/need a constant reminder flashing in my face when I'm trying to get my homework done.

Above is a little video explaining what ghostery does even more. I like that it allows you to choose what companies you allow to "watch" you. And that it also informs you about those companies and how that data might be used. As a marketing student, I know some of this information can be extremely helpful for those companies, as well as benefit my eventually. So I like that ghostery adds a little about each company so you can decide if you want to block them or not.

This type of product reminds me of something the authors of Nudge would advocate for. It gives people a choice to block advertisers and trackers, and educates you about them. Compared to the other two alternatives of doing nothing, or installing software that blocks all ads/companies in general. Ghostery allows you to make an educated decision.

I feel as consumers, we may alter our browsing/online purchasing behavior if we really knew all of the people tracking us. This may lead to incorrect data, so ghostery may actually be helping these companies record more accurate data because people are more secure in what they are sharing and how it will be used.

I know when I worked at 24 Hour Fitness, customers had to scan their finger to check in too the club. Some customers refused to have their finger scanned cause they were afraid we would save their prints and send it to the government or FBI. However, this was not true and the technology we had didn't allow for that anyways. It only saved various points of ones print. I think this can be applied to online browsing privacy as well. People want to know that the data a company is collecting will not be used against them.

No comments:

Post a Comment