Monday, December 9, 2013

Course Wrap-Up

Consumer Behavior is defined as "the study of the processes involved when individuals or groups select, purchase, use, or dispose of products, services, ideas, or experiences to satisfy needs and desires" (Solomon, pg. 7).My final post will be about a summary/reflection on what I learned in this course and what the major points included.

What I have realized is all the purchases consumers make are much more calculated then we let ourselves believe. We are influenced by our attitudes, lifestyles, environment, culture, peers, and personalities. Of course, I always knew that sometimes my purchases were influenced by these various factors. However, almost every single thing I buy is through a "nudge" of these various factors. 

All decisions have a reason and reasoning behind them. Some are just more prevalent than others. For example, I bought a new pair of skis recently and a lot of factors influenced that purchase. I also put a lot of time and effort into this purchase whereas I would with a different product. Such as my toothpaste, or shampoo. 
My environment, peers, and lifestyle definitely played a huge factor in my decision. Much more goes into purchase decisions than most people think. It is not just the price, location, and availability. We are all influenced by multiple factors. I think this is the main thing I learned from this course. 

Overall, I am happy we are required to take a course like this. Due to the fact that we receive a bachelors of science degree in business, we mainly focus on quantitative practices. We deal with hard numbers and facts and research. However, this course is also based on research but it is about the motives and reasoning behind purchases and decisions. This course touches upon how consumers act and I believe this will be very valuable information to use in correlation with the other classes I have taken thus far. 

Now, I am officially done with the Fall semester of 2013!! Time to celebrate :) And go back to having a normal life! Also, get to experience the Southern California weather I am used too. No more of this -15 degree weather......!!


No comments:

Post a Comment