Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Advertising without actually looking like advertising -Week 4

After watching the first half of persuaders, I felt a need to talk about advertisements inside tv programs and movies. Traditionally, ads were placed before the movies and in between tv programs. Now this tactic seems obsolete. I personally don't watch any tv unless it is recorded on my DVR, and I can fast forward through the commercials. On the off chance I am watching an unrecorded show, I usually mute the commercials or pause the tv and go do something else until the show is back on. The only time I think most people enjoy watching commercials is during the super bowl! And this is most likely why:

I think most people can relate to the statement that we hate being advertised and sold too. I don't like having products pushed at me, if I don't feel like it is my idea to buy something, I simply won't do it. Especially when I get what seems like hundreds of emails a day from one company, I end up despising them and become so annoyed to the point where I don't want anything to do with them anymore!

I believe advertisers have caught on to this... At least most of them. Consumers do not want advertisements to feel like advertisements. One way they achieve this is by making their commercials funny and relatable. Such as:

This commercial is funny because it is relatable. I grew up in the 90s and remember all these toys and fashion trends. However, it is difficult to create original and witty commercials. Which is why advertising in movies and tv programs is increasing and is a great way to go.

Here is a link to the top 10 most: Shameless Product Placement. Castaway is also very popular for its product placement with FedEx and Wilson.

I think if it is done right, and not too obvious, product placement can be a really powerful tool. Advertisers and companies get a lot of  exposure and consumers don't feel annoyed. However, you have to be subtle. Some movies are made completely for the sole purpose of advertising. Those are some movies I would not want to see. Recently, advertising and marketing has gotten more tricky due to increased technology. I would say traditional advertising methods are coming to an end, and forcing advertisers to get more creative. 

No comments:

Post a Comment