Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Dark Side of Consumer Behavior- Week 3

I was really interested in the reading from chapter 6 in my textbook Consumer Behavior: Buying, Having, and Being. I have heard numerous stories about how advertising is going too far and how it is becoming more unethical. For example, a young girl became pregnant and began charging what she purchased. Target was able to pick up on this, and realized she was pregnant before she even told her parents. She started getting coupons and advertisements for baby products. I think that is ridiculous and such a validation of privacy. And actually pretty creepy.... But I've also learned that we sometimes think advertisers know us better than we know ourselves. However, they don't (but I'm sure they wish they did).

One topic covered was how consumers are becoming addicted to almost everything, but especially Internet addiction, such as all the games and social media websites. People are checking these sites constantly or literally dropping dead from exhaustion after paying internet games for hours on end. I even find myself checking my phone every few minutes sometimes and don't even realize I am doing it for a while. It scares me that I don't even realize it and have to mentally remind myself, "you don't need to check your phone, it will ring if anyone is trying to contact you".

I did a quick search and there are numerous chat rooms, websites, and treatments available for people who believe they are addicted to the Internet. I think these types of addictions can become just as serious as drug or alcohol addictions if they are not treated.

Another dark side of CB is how people think they "need" stuff in order to become who they want to be, or what type of people they want to be friends with. I think this is also completely ridiculous. Why would you change yourself to be friends with people who don't like you for who you actually are. Before I started this class, I didn't realize CB dealt with these types of issues but obviously after doing the readings I feel differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment